Access To Information Act
ADT is provider of security systems and services to the residential and commercial markets.
Name of Body: ADT Security (Pty) Ltd
Reg. No. 2000/029969/07
and the following subsidiaries,
ADT Security Guarding (Pty) Ltd
Reg. No. 1992/000731/07
Kusela Security Services (Pty) Ltd
Reg. No. 2002/013172/07
Klipton Properties (Pty) Ltd
Reg No. 1984/009011/07
Sentry Response (Pty) Ltd
Reg No. 1996/017820/07
TM Monitoring (Pty) Ltd
Reg No. 1998/002044/07
1 Charles Crescent
Eastgate Ext 4
PO Box 782224
Head of Body: DB Strydom Managing Director
Responsible person for information requests is: Charlene Kearabetswe Louw
Telephone No: +27 11 259 3501
Fax No: 086 12 12 405
A guide on how to use the Act is to be compiled by the Human Rights Commission in terms of Section 10 of the Act by no later than August 2003. Any queries should be directed to:
The South African Human Rights Commission:
PAIA Unit, The Research and Documentation Department
Private Bag 2700
Telephone: +27 11 484-8300
Fax: +27 11 484-0582
Currently not applicable
Records are kept in accordance with such other legislation as is applicable to ADT, which includes but is not limited to, the following legislation:
Companies Act 61 of 1973
Income Tax Act 58 of 1962
Unemployment Insurance Act 63 of 2001
Value Added Tax Act 89 of 1991
Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act 130 of 1993
Occupational Health and Safety Act 85 of 1993
Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998
Manpower Training Act, 1981
Wages Act, 1957
Regional Services Councils Act, 1985
Financial Intelligence Centre Act, 2001
Unfair Business Practices Act, 1988
Pension Funds Act, 1956
Private Security Industry Regulation Act, 2001
Firearms Control Act, 2000
Trespass Act, 1959
Criminal Procedures Act, 1977 (Section 49: Use of force when affecting arrest)
National Road Traffic Regulations Act, 1989
General Law Amendment Act, 1956
Amendment Act on General Law, 1955
A: Records and information
i. Operational Information
Such information as is required for the day-to-day running of ADT.
ADT keeps records relating to the following:
Company Organisational Structure
Products and Services provided by the company such as security systems installation and servicing, monitoring and response service and guarding.
ADT keeps the above records in relation to:
ADT keeps the following types of information:
Correspondence between persons within and without ADT.
ADT’s Website address is www.adt.co.za and is accessible to anyone who has access to the Internet. The Website contains various categories of information relating to the company.
iv. Other Sources of Information
Not applicable at this stage.
B: The Request Procedures
i. Form of request
- The requester must use the prescribed form to make the request for access to a record. This must be made to the head of the private body. This request must be made to the address, fax number or electronic mail address of the body concerned [s 53(1)].
- The requester must provide sufficient detail on the request form to enable the head of the private body to identify the record and the requester. The requester should also indicate which form of access is required and specify a postal address or fax number in the Republic. The requester should also indicate if, in addition to a written reply, any other manner is to be used to inform the requester and state the necessary particulars to be so informed [s 53(2)(a) and (b) and (c) and (e)].
- The requester must identify the right that is sought to be exercised or protected and provide an explanation of why the requested record is required for the exercise or protection of that right [s 53(2)(d)].
- If a request is made on behalf of another person, the requester must submit proof of the capacity in which the requester is making the request to the satisfaction of the head of the private body [s 53(2)(f)].
A requester who seeks access to a record containing personal information about that requester is not required to pay the request fee. Every other requester, who is not a personal requester, must pay the required request fee of R50.00:
- After the head of the private body has made a decision on the request, the requester will be notified in the required form.
- If the request is granted then a further access fee must be paid for reproduction and for search and preparation and for any time that has exceeded the prescribed hours to search and prepare the record for disclosure [s 54(6)].
The Minister of Justice and Constitutional Development has not made any regulations in this regard
This manual is available for inspection by the general public upon request, during office hours and free of charge, at the Head Office of ADT, physical address as listed. Copies may also be requested from the South African Human Rights Commission and the Government Gazette. The manual is also published on ADT's website referred to above.
The forms and fee structure prescribed under the Act are available at the website of the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development (www.doj.gov.za), under the "regulations" section.
Click here to view the PAIA fees.
Click here to view the PAIA form.