Sign Up Newsletter
Pre-primary learners from Piggy Wiggy Pre-Primary in Northriding recently enjoyed a visit from Mr ADT otherwise known as Darin McDowall a well-known Johannesburg entertainer / magician.
Mr ADT kept the children entertained with magic tricks while delivering important crime awareness messages and safety tips.
The show, a complementary service offered by Fidelity ADT Security to pre-primary and primary schools, is part of a programme aimed at creating crime awareness amongst children of Gauteng. Chris van Deventer, Fidelity ADT’s Community Development Manager, who attended the show, said he thoroughly enjoyed it and the kids did as well. “Mr ADT included practical safety tips on who to call (SAPS 10111) and how to use a panic button. We believe it is important to be proactive and educate our children on the dangers of crime. Mr ADT is able to educate children on a serious topic but in a fun and entertaining way,” he says.
The show covers important topics such as:
- Home robberies
- Keeping our belongings safe
- Being alert (Paying attention to our surroundings, how to get help/Police/panic buttons etc.)
- Stranger Danger
- Respecting our fellow South Africans
Mr ADT offered the following tips:
- Make sure children know their full names, address and phone number
- Children practice operating door and window locks at home, and insist they always check who is at the gate or door before opening it.
- Never to reveal on the phone or at the door that there are no adults at home, but rather say that their parents are too busy to come to the phone or door.
- Stranger Danger – never to get in a car with someone they don’t know or leave the school grounds unaccompanied.
Other topics were also covered, for instance: what is good touching and bad touching, how to use panic alarm buttons, and the importance of knowing a parent’s contact details and other emergency numbers.
“Unfortunately, in South Africa there is no escape from conversations about crime,” says van Deventer. “Children are never too young to be educated and made aware, in a non-threatening manner, of the dangers that exist in our society. They need to be empowered to be able to protect themselves in a dangerous situation,” he adds.
“Darin, Mr ADT, has a fun, friendly way of addressing these pertinent issues. He has found the perfect balance, as the show keeps the children informed and entertained while reinforcing valuable safety tips.”
The Mr ADT shows take place at local schools and are hosted free of charge by ADT. If a teacher or parent is interested in booking a show for their school, they are welcome to email email@example.com